Operate or tend hoists or winches to lift and pull loads using power-operated cable equipment.
- Move levers, pedals, and throttles to stop, start, and regulate speeds of hoist or winch drums in response to hand, bell, buzzer, telephone, loud-speaker, or whistle signals, or by observing dial indicators or cable marks.
- Apply hand or foot brakes and move levers to lock hoists or winches.
- Start engines of hoists or winches and use levers and pedals to wind or unwind cable on drums.
- Observe equipment gauges and indicators and hand signals of other workers to verify load positions or depths.
- Oil winch drums so that cables will wind smoothly.
- Operate compressed air, diesel, electric, gasoline, or steam-driven hoists or winches to control movement of cableways, cages, derricks, draglines, loaders, railcars, or skips.
- Move or reposition hoists, winches, loads and materials, manually or using equipment and machines such as trucks, cars, and hand trucks.
- Climb ladders to position and set up vehicle-mounted derricks.
- Select loads or materials according to weight and size specifications.
- Repair, maintain, and adjust equipment, using hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: REC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $38,960 with most people making between $28,120 and $49,570
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 110 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 100 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Signal and Track Switch Repairers
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Printing Press Operators
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators