Directly supervise and coordinate activities of transportation and material-moving machine and vehicle operators and helpers.
- Airplane Pilot Supervisor
- Area Captain
- Area Counselor
- Auto Servicer
- Building Materials or Lumber Yard Supervisor
- Bus and Trolley Dispatcher
- Bus Driver Supervisor
- Cab Supervisor
- Cargo Supervisor
- Enforce safety rules and regulations.
- Plan work assignments and equipment allocations to meet transportation, operations or production goals.
- Direct workers in transportation or related services, such as pumping, moving, storing, or loading or unloading of materials or people.
- Review orders, production schedules, blueprints, or shipping or receiving notices to determine work sequences and material shipping dates, types, volumes, or destinations.
- Inspect or test materials, stock, vehicles, equipment, or facilities to ensure that they are safe, free of defects, and consistent with specifications.
- Confer with customers, supervisors, contractors, or other personnel to exchange information or to resolve problems.
- Monitor field work to ensure proper performance and use of materials.
- Dispatch personnel and vehicles in response to telephone or radio reports of emergencies.
- Examine, measure, or weigh cargo or materials to determine specific handling requirements.
- Drive vehicles or operate machines or equipment to complete work assignments or to assist workers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Ohio was $58,240 with most people making between $33,920 and $81,970
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 8,510 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 8,690 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 18 openings due to growth and about 272 replacement openings for approximately 290 total annual openings.
This occupation requires a Silver certificate
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Gaming Managers
- Emergency Management Directors
- Technical Directors/Managers
- Criminal Investigators and Special Agents
- First-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers