Set up, operate, or tend machines to coat or paint any of a wide variety of products, including glassware, cloth, ceramics, metal, plastic, paper, or wood, with lacquer, silver, copper, rubber, varnish, glaze, enamel, oil, or rust-proofing materials.
- Select appropriate coatings, paints, or sprays, or prepare them by mixing substances according to formulas, using automated paint mixing equipment.
- Hold or position spray guns to direct spray onto articles.
- Fill hoppers, reservoirs, troughs, or pans with material used to coat, paint, or spray, using conveyors or pails.
- Thread or feed items or products through or around machine rollers and dryers.
- Weigh or measure chemicals, coatings, or paints before adding them to machines.
- Start and stop operation of machines, using levers or buttons.
- Set up and operate machines to paint or coat products with such materials as silver and copper solution, rubber, paint, glaze, oil, or rustproofing materials.
- Operate auxiliary machines or equipment used in coating or painting processes.
- Remove materials, parts, or workpieces from painting or coating machines, using hand tools.
- Determine paint flow, viscosity, and coating quality by performing visual inspections, or by using viscometers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $35,760 with most people making between $24,290 and $50,320
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 6,760 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 6,810 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 5 openings due to growth and about 125 replacement openings for approximately 130 total annual openings.
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
- Coating, Engraving, Heat Treating, and Allied Activities $28,530
- Architectural and Structural Metals Manufacturing $29,900
- Household and Institutional Furniture and Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturing $27,780
- Converted Paper Product Manufacturing $34,370
- Agriculture, Construction, and Mining Machinery Manufacturing $31,920
- Plastics Product Manufacturing $31,370
- Nursery Workers
- Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Grinding and Polishing Workers, Hand
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators