Construct, fit, maintain, or repair medical supportive devices, such as braces, orthotics and prosthetic devices, joints, arch supports, and other surgical and medical appliances.
- Drill and tap holes for rivets and glue, weld, bolt, or rivet parts together to form prosthetic or orthotic devices.
- Read prescriptions or specifications to determine the type of product or device to be fabricated and the materials and tools that will be required.
- Make orthotic or prosthetic devices, using materials such as thermoplastic and thermosetting materials, metal alloys and leather, and hand or power tools.
- Bend, form, and shape fabric or material to conform to prescribed contours of structural components.
- Construct or receive casts or impressions of patients' torsos or limbs for use as cutting and fabrication patterns.
- Repair, modify, or maintain medical supportive devices, such as artificial limbs, braces, or surgical supports, according to specifications.
- Cover or pad metal or plastic structures or devices, using coverings such as rubber, leather, felt, plastic, or fiberglass.
- Test medical supportive devices for proper alignment, movement, or biomechanical stability, using meters and alignment fixtures.
- Lay out and mark dimensions of parts, using templates and precision measuring instruments.
- Fit appliances onto patients and make any necessary adjustments.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $33,780 with most people making between $20,620 and $47,020
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 370 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 410 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 4 openings due to growth and about 6 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Medical Equipment and Supplies Manufacturing $37,920
- Health and Personal Care Stores $39,910
- Navigational, Measuring, Electromedical, and Control Instruments Manufacturing $36,730
- Professional and Commercial Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers $46,260
- General Medical and Surgical Hospitals $35,910
- Offices of Physicians $41,530
- Computer User Support Specialists
- Audio-Visual and Multimedia Collections Specialists
- Radiation Therapists
- Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Radiologic Technologists
- Respiratory Therapy Technicians
- Surgical Technologists
- Radiologic Technicians
- Animal Control Workers