Set up, operate, or tend machines that cut or slice materials, such as glass, stone, cork, rubber, tobacco, food, paper, or insulating material.
- Press Cutter
- Power Shear Operator
- Powder Cutting Operator
- Potato Peeler
- Pole-Peeling Machine Operator
- Ply Cutter
- Plug Cutting Machine Operator
- Plug Cutter
- Platen Press Operator
- Set up, operate, or tend machines that cut or slice materials, such as glass, stone, cork, rubber, tobacco, food, paper, or insulating material.
- Review work orders, blueprints, specifications, or job samples to determine components, settings, and adjustments for cutting and slicing machines.
- Examine, measure, and weigh materials or products to verify conformance to specifications, using measuring devices, such as rulers, micrometers, or scales.
- Press buttons, pull levers, or depress pedals to start and operate cutting and slicing machines.
- Start machines to verify setups, and make any necessary adjustments.
- Feed stock into cutting machines, onto conveyors, or under cutting blades, by threading, guiding, pushing, or turning handwheels.
- Operate cranes, or signal crane operators to position or remove stone from cars or saw beds.
- Mark cutting lines or identifying information on stock, using marking pencils, rulers, or scribes.
- Monitor operation of cutting or slicing machines to detect malfunctions or to determine whether supplies need replenishment.
- Stack and sort cut material for packaging, further processing, or shipping, according to types and sizes of material.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Ohio was $35,530 with most people making between $24,520 and $48,280
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 3,840 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 3,640 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about -1 openings due to growth and about 401 replacement openings for approximately 400 total annual openings.
- Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, and Applicators, Vegetation
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Printing Press Operators
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators