Operate or tend equipment to control chemical changes or reactions in the processing of industrial or consumer products. Equipment used includes devulcanizers, steam-jacketed kettles, and reactor vessels.
- Acetone Recovery Worker
- Acetylene Plant Operator
- Acid Bleacher
- Acid Cleaner
- Acid Concentrator
- Acid Condenser
- Acid Extractor
- Acid Maker
- Acid Operator
- Acid Patroller
- Observe safety precautions to prevent fires or explosions.
- Record operational data, such as temperatures, pressures, ingredients used, processing times, or test results.
- Control or operate equipment in which chemical changes or reactions take place during the processing of industrial or consumer products.
- Patrol work areas to detect leaks or equipment malfunctions or to monitor operating conditions.
- Draw samples of products at specified stages so that analyses can be performed.
- Adjust controls to regulate temperature, pressure, feed, or flow of liquids or gases and times of prescribed reactions, according to knowledge of equipment and processes.
- Monitor gauges, recording instruments, flowmeters, or products to ensure that specified conditions are maintained.
- Test product samples for specific gravity, chemical characteristics, pH levels, concentrations, or viscosities or send them to laboratories for testing.
- Inspect equipment or units to detect leaks or malfunctions, shutting equipment down if necessary.
- Open valves or start pumps, agitators, reactors, blowers, or automatic feed of materials.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $45,750 with most people making between $27,100 and $67,400
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,000 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 2,890 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
- Basic Chemical Manufacturing $47,110
- Resin, Synthetic Rubber, and Artificial Synthetic Fibers and Filaments Manufacturing $50,090
- Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing $44,490
- Other Chemical Product and Preparation Manufacturing $42,150
- Paint, Coating, and Adhesive Manufacturing $43,160
- Soap, Cleaning Compound, and Toilet Preparation Manufacturing $40,200
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Hazardous Materials Removal Workers
- Service Unit Operators, Oil, Gas, and Mining
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Signal and Track Switch Repairers
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Power Plant Operators
- Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Hoist and Winch Operators