Make, repair, or replace upholstery for household furniture or transportation vehicles.
- Aircraft Seat Upholsterer
- Arm Maker
- Arm Rest Builder
- Automobile Upholsterer Apprentice (Auto Upholsterer Apprentice)
- Automobile Upholsterer (Auto Upholsterer)
- Automotive Upholsterer
- Auto Top Mechanic
- Body Trimmer Upholsterer
- Box Spring Upholsterer
- Car Seat Coverer
- Fit, install, and secure material on frames, using hand tools, power tools, glue, cement, or staples.
- Measure and cut new covering materials, using patterns and measuring and cutting instruments, following sketches and design specifications.
- Build furniture up with loose fiber stuffing, cotton, felt, or foam padding to form smooth, rounded surfaces.
- Make, restore, or create custom upholstered furniture, using hand tools and knowledge of fabrics and upholstery methods.
- Read work orders, and apply knowledge and experience with materials to determine types and amounts of materials required to cover workpieces.
- Draw cutting lines on material following patterns, templates, sketches, or blueprints, using chalk, pencils, paint, or other methods.
- Stretch webbing and fabric, using webbing stretchers.
- Operate sewing machines or sew upholstery by hand to seam cushions and join various sections of covering material.
- Examine furniture frames, upholstery, springs, and webbing to locate defects.
- Adjust or replace webbing, padding, or springs, and secure them in place.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Ohio was $32,150 with most people making between $19,420 and $45,910
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 1,030 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 1,030 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 100 replacement openings for approximately 100 total annual openings.
- Household and Institutional Furniture and Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturing $32,020
- Personal and Household Goods Repair and Maintenance $30,880
- Automotive Repair and Maintenance $30,440
- Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing $30,120
- Other Furniture Related Product Manufacturing $29,200
- Office Furniture (including Fixtures) Manufacturing $31,820
This occupation requires a Silver certificate
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Terrazzo Workers and Finishers
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Automotive Body and Related Repairers
- Printing Press Operators
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Cabinetmakers and Bench Carpenters