Set up, operate, or tend plating or coating machines to coat metal or plastic products with chromium, zinc, copper, cadmium, nickel, or other metal to protect or decorate surfaces. Includes electrolytic processes.
- Immerse workpieces in coating solutions or liquid metal or plastic for specified times.
- Adjust dials to regulate flow of current and voltage supplied to terminals to control plating processes.
- Inspect coated or plated areas for defects, such as air bubbles or uneven coverage.
- Set up, operate, or tend plating or coating machines to coat metal or plastic products with chromium, zinc, copper, cadmium, nickel, or other metal to protect or decorate surfaces.
- Observe gauges to ensure that machines are operating properly, making adjustments or stopping machines when problems occur.
- Maintain production records.
- Remove objects from solutions at periodic intervals and observe objects to verify conformance to specifications.
- Remove excess materials or impurities from objects, using air hoses or grinding machines.
- Determine sizes and compositions of objects to be plated, and amounts of electrical current and time required.
- Test machinery to ensure that it is operating properly.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Ohio was $34,050 with most people making between $21,270 and $49,770
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 2,410 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 2,100 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about -1 openings due to growth and about 191 replacement openings for approximately 190 total annual openings.
- Coating, Engraving, Heat Treating, and Allied Activities $29,640
- Semiconductor and Other Electronic Component Manufacturing $29,700
- Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing $31,750
- Plastics Product Manufacturing $30,570
- Architectural and Structural Metals Manufacturing $30,510
- Other Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing $31,490
- Electrical and Electronic Equipment Assemblers
- Food Batchmakers
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Solderers and Brazers
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Semiconductor Processors
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand