Set up, operate, or tend welding, soldering, or brazing machines or robots that weld, braze, solder, or heat treat metal products, components, or assemblies. Includes workers who operate laser cutters or laser-beam machines.
- Arc and Gas Welder
- Arc Welding Machine Operator
- Billet Assembler
- Braze Operator
- Brazing Machine Operator
- Brazing Machine Setter
- Brazing Machine Setter and Setup Operator
- Brazing Machine Tender
- Certified Welder
- Controlled Atmospheric Furnace Brazer
- Inspect, measure, or test completed metal workpieces to ensure conformance to specifications, using measuring and testing devices.
- Read blueprints, work orders, or production schedules to determine product or job instructions or specifications.
- Load or feed workpieces into welding machines to join or bond components.
- Observe meters, gauges, or machine operations to ensure that soldering or brazing processes meet specifications.
- Assemble, align, and clamp workpieces into holding fixtures to bond, heat-treat, or solder fabricated metal components.
- Set up, operate, or tend welding machines that join or bond components to fabricate metal products or assemblies.
- Turn and press knobs and buttons or enter operating instructions into computers to adjust and start welding machines.
- Lay out, fit, or connect parts to be bonded, calculating production measurements as necessary.
- Compute and record settings for new work, applying knowledge of metal properties, principles of welding, and shop mathematics.
- Correct problems by adjusting controls or by stopping machines and opening holding devices.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Ohio was $40,570 with most people making between $27,980 and $52,290
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 3,150 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 2,870 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about -1 openings due to growth and about 291 replacement openings for approximately 290 total annual openings.
Career and Technology Center5224 Bayshore RoadOregon, OH 43616
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
- Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing $34,700
- Architectural and Structural Metals Manufacturing $33,610
- Agriculture, Construction, and Mining Machinery Manufacturing $37,980
- Ship and Boat Building $41,000
- Ventilation, Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Commercial Refrigeration Equipment Manufacturing $32,460
- Machine Shops; Turned Product; and Screw, Nut, and Bolt Manufacturing $33,840
- Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, and Applicators, Vegetation
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Semiconductor Processors
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Wellhead Pumpers