Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic work pieces.
- Abrasive Worker
- Air Grinder
- Aluminum Polisher
- Automatic Grinder Operator
- Axle Bearing Polisher
- Axle Polisher
- Balance Screwhead Polisher
- Band Reamer Machine Operator
- Band Saw Filer
- Barrel Centerer
- Inspect or measure finished workpieces to determine conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as gauges or micrometers.
- Measure workpieces and lay out work, using precision measuring devices.
- Observe machine operations to detect any problems, making necessary adjustments to correct problems.
- Move machine controls to index workpieces, and to adjust machines for pre-selected operational settings.
- Study blueprints, work orders, or machining instructions to determine product specifications, tool requirements, and operational sequences.
- Select machine tooling to be used, using knowledge of machine and production requirements.
- Compute machine indexings and settings for specified dimensions and base reference points.
- Mount and position tools in machine chucks, spindles, or other tool holding devices, using hand tools.
- Set and adjust machine controls according to product specifications, using knowledge of machine operation.
- Activate machine start-up switches to grind, lap, hone, debar, shear, or cut workpieces, according to specifications.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $33,850 with most people making between $21,850 and $49,340
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,670 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 3,650 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 190 replacement openings for approximately 190 total annual openings.
Career and Technology Center5224 Bayshore RoadOregon, OH 43616
- Foundries $31,010
- Machine Shops; Turned Product; and Screw, Nut, and Bolt Manufacturing $32,770
- Coating, Engraving, Heat Treating, and Allied Activities $31,700
- Other Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing $34,010
- Metalworking Machinery Manufacturing $34,510
- Aerospace Product and Parts Manufacturing $34,970
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators