Set up, operate, or tend machines to saw, cut, shear, slit, punch, crimp, notch, bend, or straighten metal or plastic material.
- Measure completed workpieces to verify conformance to specifications, using micrometers, gauges, calipers, templates, or rulers.
- Examine completed workpieces for defects, such as chipped edges or marred surfaces and sort defective pieces according to types of flaws.
- Set stops on machine beds, change dies, and adjust components, such as rams or power presses, when making multiple or successive passes.
- Start machines, monitor their operations, and record operational data.
- Set up, operate, or tend machines to saw, cut, shear, slit, punch, crimp, notch, bend, or straighten metal or plastic material.
- Test and adjust machine speeds or actions, according to product specifications, using gauges and hand tools.
- Install, align, and lock specified punches, dies, cutting blades, or other fixtures in rams or beds of machines, using gauges, templates, feelers, shims, and hand tools.
- Read work orders or production schedules to determine specifications, such as materials to be used, locations of cutting lines, or dimensions and tolerances.
- Position guides, stops, holding blocks, or other fixtures to secure and direct workpieces, using hand tools and measuring devices.
- Position, align, and secure workpieces against fixtures or stops on machine beds or on dies.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $33,430 with most people making between $22,340 and $46,920
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 17,350 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 13,950 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 220 replacement openings for approximately 220 total annual openings.
Career and Technology Center5224 Bayshore RoadOregon, OH 43616
- Highway Maintenance Workers
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
- Crushing, Grinding, and Polishing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Semiconductor Processors
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators