Mix and bake ingredients to produce breads, rolls, cookies, cakes, pies, pastries, or other baked goods.
- Check products for quality and identify damaged or expired goods.
- Set oven temperatures and place items into hot ovens for baking.
- Combine measured ingredients in bowls of mixing, blending, or cooking machinery.
- Place dough in pans, molds, or on sheets and bake in production ovens or on grills.
- Set time and speed controls for mixing machines, blending machines, or steam kettles so that ingredients will be mixed or cooked according to instructions.
- Measure or weigh flour or other ingredients to prepare batters, doughs, fillings, or icings, using scales or graduated containers.
- Observe color of products being baked and adjust oven temperatures, humidity, or conveyor speeds accordingly.
- Check the quality of raw materials to ensure that standards and specifications are met.
- Check equipment to ensure that it meets health and safety regulations and perform maintenance or cleaning, as necessary.
- Adapt the quantity of ingredients to match the amount of items to be baked.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Support in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $27,380 with most people making between $19,130 and $38,860
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 8,130 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 8,470 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 34 openings due to growth and about 176 replacement openings for approximately 210 total annual openings.
Career and Technology Center5224 Bayshore RoadOregon, OH 43616
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
- Cooks, Restaurant
- Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Electrical and Electronics Installers and Repairers, Transportation Equipment
- Butchers and Meat Cutters
- Solderers and Brazers
- Printing Press Operators
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Etchers and Engravers