Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul farm machinery and vehicles, such as tractors, harvesters, dairy equipment, and irrigation systems.
- Agricultural Equipment Mechanic
- Agricultural Mechanic
- Agricultural Technician
- Agriculture Mechanic
- Assembly Repairer
- Combine Mechanic
- Dairy Equipment Installer
- Dairy Equipment Mechanic
- Dairy Equipment Repairer
- Electric Milkers Installer
- Maintain, repair, and overhaul farm machinery and vehicles, such as tractors, harvesters, and irrigation systems.
- Dismantle defective machines for repair, using hand tools.
- Record details of repairs made and parts used.
- Reassemble machines and equipment following repair, testing operation and making adjustments as necessary.
- Clean and lubricate parts.
- Test and replace electrical components and wiring, using test meters, soldering equipment, and hand tools.
- Tune or overhaul engines.
- Examine and listen to equipment, read inspection reports, and confer with customers to locate and diagnose malfunctions.
- Repair or replace defective parts, using hand tools, milling and woodworking machines, lathes, welding equipment, grinders, or saws.
- Drive trucks to haul tools and equipment for on-site repair of large machinery.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Ohio was $39,790 with most people making between $26,150 and $54,840
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 1,470 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 1,580 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about 11 openings due to growth and about 149 replacement openings for approximately 160 total annual openings.
Career and Technology Center5224 Bayshore RoadOregon, OH 43616
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
This occupation requires a Silver certificate
- Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation