Repair only one system or component on a vehicle, such as brakes, suspension, or radiator.
- A/C Technician (Air Conditioning Technician)
- Aerial Installer
- Air-Conditioning Mechanic
- Air Conditioning Specialist
- Alternative Fuel Vehicle Maintenance Technician (AFV Maintenance Technician)
- Alternative Fuel Vehicle Repair Technician (AFV Repair Technician)
- Antenna Installer
- Antenna Specialist
- Audio Installer
- Auto Accessories Installer
- Inspect vehicles for damage and record findings so that necessary repairs can be made.
- Estimate costs of vehicle repair.
- Troubleshoot fuel, ignition, and emissions control systems, using electronic testing equipment.
- Repair, overhaul, or adjust automobile brake systems.
- Test electronic computer components in automobiles to ensure proper operation.
- Repair or replace defective ball joint suspensions, brake shoes, or wheel bearings.
- Align wheels, axles, frames, torsion bars, and steering mechanisms of automobiles, using special alignment equipment and wheel-balancing machines.
- Tune automobile engines to ensure proper and efficient functioning.
- Repair, replace, or adjust defective fuel injectors, carburetor parts, and gasoline filters.
- Rebuild, repair, or test automotive fuel injection units.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $40,000 with most people making between $20,980 and $62,560
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 27,290 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 28,560 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 127 openings due to growth and about 733 replacement openings for approximately 860 total annual openings.
Career and Technology Center5224 Bayshore RoadOregon, OH 43616
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
This occupation requires a Silver certificate
- Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Automotive Master Mechanics
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General