Replace or repair broken windshields and window glass in motor vehicles.
- Automotive Glass Installer (Auto Glass Installer)
- Automotive Glass Mechanic (Auto Glass Mechanic)
- Automotive Glass Specialist (Auto Glass Specialist)
- Automotive Glass Technician (Auto Glass Technician)
- Automotive Glazier (Auto Glazier)
- Automotive Window Tinter
- Glass Fitter
- Glass Installer
- Glass Installer Technician
- Glass Setter
- Prime all scratches on pinchwelds with primer and allow to dry.
- Remove all dirt, foreign matter, and loose glass from damaged areas, apply primer along windshield or window edges, and allow primer to dry.
- Allow all glass parts installed with urethane ample time to cure, taking temperature and humidity into account.
- Apply a bead of urethane around the perimeter of each pinchweld and dress the remaining urethane on the pinchwelds so that it is of uniform level and thickness.
- Select appropriate tools, safety equipment, and parts, according to job requirements.
- Install replacement glass in vehicles.
- Obtain windshields or windows for specific automobile makes and models from stock and examine them for defects prior to installation.
- Check for and remove moisture or contamination in damaged areas and keep areas dry until repairs are complete.
- Replace all moldings, clips, windshield wipers, or other parts that were removed prior to glass replacement or repair.
- Remove broken or damaged glass windshields or window glass from motor vehicles, using hand tools to remove screws from frames holding glass.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $41,230 with most people making between $25,730 and $59,680
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,050 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 1,130 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 8 openings due to growth and about 12 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
- Medical Equipment Preparers
- Pest Control Workers
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Coin, Vending, and Amusement Machine Servicers and Repairers
- Manufactured Building and Mobile Home Installers
- Engine and Other Machine Assemblers
- Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity
- Conveyor Operators and Tenders