Repair and refinish automotive vehicle bodies and straighten vehicle frames.
- Antique Automobiles Repairer
- Auto Body Builder Apprentice
- Auto Body Customizer
- Auto Body Detailer
- Auto Body Man
- Auto Body Mechanic
- Auto Body Mechanic Apprentice
- Auto Body Painter
- Auto Body Repairer
- Auto Body Repairman
- Follow supervisors' instructions as to which parts to restore or replace and how much time the job should take.
- Review damage reports, prepare or review repair cost estimates, and plan work to be performed.
- Inspect repaired vehicles for proper functioning, completion of work, dimensional accuracy, and overall appearance of paint job, and test drive vehicles to ensure proper alignment and handling.
- Sand body areas to be painted and cover bumpers, windows, and trim with masking tape or paper to protect them from the paint.
- Fit and weld replacement parts into place, using wrenches and welding equipment, and grind down welds to smooth them, using power grinders and other tools.
- Prime and paint repaired surfaces, using paint sprayguns and motorized sanders.
- Remove damaged sections of vehicles using metal-cutting guns, air grinders and wrenches, and install replacement parts using wrenches or welding equipment.
- Chain or clamp frames and sections to alignment machines that use hydraulic pressure to align damaged components.
- Fill small dents that cannot be worked out with plastic or solder.
- File, grind, sand, and smooth filled or repaired surfaces, using power tools and hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $43,300 with most people making between $25,860 and $68,380
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 6,630 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 7,210 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 58 openings due to growth and about 152 replacement openings for approximately 210 total annual openings.
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
This occupation requires a Bronze certificate
- Fishers and Related Fishing Workers
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Printing Press Operators
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders