Install, inspect, test, adjust, or repair avionics equipment, such as radar, radio, navigation, and missile control systems in aircraft or space vehicles.
- Test and troubleshoot instruments, components, and assemblies, using circuit testers, oscilloscopes, or voltmeters.
- Keep records of maintenance and repair work.
- Adjust, repair, or replace malfunctioning components or assemblies, using hand tools or soldering irons.
- Install electrical and electronic components, assemblies, and systems in aircraft, using hand tools, power tools, or soldering irons.
- Set up and operate ground support and test equipment to perform functional flight tests of electrical and electronic systems.
- Assemble components such as switches, electrical controls, and junction boxes, using hand tools or soldering irons.
- Lay out installation of aircraft assemblies and systems, following documentation such as blueprints, manuals, and wiring diagrams.
- Connect components to assemblies such as radio systems, instruments, magnetos, inverters, and in-flight refueling systems, using hand tools and soldering irons.
- Interpret flight test data to diagnose malfunctions and systemic performance problems.
- Coordinate work with that of engineers, technicians, and other aircraft maintenance personnel.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Achievement in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $52,060 with most people making between $35,160 and $71,820
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 450 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 470 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 8 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Aerospace Product and Parts Manufacturing $54,270
- Support Activities for Air Transportation $46,770
- Scheduled Air Transportation $56,270
- Navigational, Measuring, Electromedical, and Control Instruments Manufacturing $50,900
- Employment Services $47,000
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services $59,950
- Electronics Engineering Technicians
- Electrical Engineering Technicians
- Environmental Engineering Technicians
- Manufacturing Production Technicians
- Nuclear Monitoring Technicians
- Construction and Building Inspectors
- Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers
- Radio Mechanics
- Electrical and Electronics Installers and Repairers, Transportation Equipment
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation