Maintain highways, municipal and rural roads, airport runways, and rights-of-way. Duties include patching broken or eroded pavement, repairing guard rails, highway markers, and snow fences. May also mow or clear brush from along road or plow snow from roadway.
- Asphalt Raker
- Caltrans Equipment Operator
- Equipment Operator (EO)
- Highway Maintainer
- Highway Maintenance Crew Worker
- Highway Maintenance Technician
- Highway Maintenance Worker
- Highway Worker
- Hot Oiler
- Set out signs and cones around work areas to divert traffic.
- Flag motorists to warn them of obstacles or repair work ahead.
- Perform preventative maintenance on vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Drive trucks to transport crews and equipment to work sites.
- Erect, install, or repair guardrails, road shoulders, berms, highway markers, warning signals, and highway lighting, using hand tools and power tools.
- Clean and clear debris from culverts, catch basins, drop inlets, ditches, and other drain structures.
- Haul and spread sand, gravel, and clay to fill washouts and repair road shoulders.
- Drive heavy equipment and vehicles with adjustable attachments to sweep debris from paved surfaces, mow grass and weeds, remove snow and ice, and spread salt and sand.
- Inspect, clean, and repair drainage systems, bridges, tunnels, and other structures.
- Remove litter and debris from roadways, including debris from rock and mud slides.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $40,650 with most people making between $25,710 and $57,490
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 7,630 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 7,930 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 30 openings due to growth and about 200 replacement openings for approximately 230 total annual openings.
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Pile-Driver Operators
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Derrick Operators, Oil and Gas
- Continuous Mining Machine Operators
- Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Crushing, Grinding, and Polishing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders