Lay out, assemble, install, or maintain pipe systems, pipe supports, or related hydraulic or pneumatic equipment for steam, hot water, heating, cooling, lubricating, sprinkling, or industrial production or processing systems.
- Cut, thread, or hammer pipes to specifications, using tools such as saws, cutting torches, pipe threaders, or pipe benders.
- Lay out full scale drawings of pipe systems, supports, or related equipment, according to blueprints.
- Assemble or secure pipes, tubes, fittings, or related equipment, according to specifications, by welding, brazing, cementing, soldering, or threading joints.
- Measure and mark pipes for cutting or threading.
- Inspect, examine, or test installed systems or pipe lines, using pressure gauge, hydrostatic testing, observation, or other methods.
- Plan pipe system layout, installation, or repair, according to specifications.
- Attach pipes to walls, structures, or fixtures, such as radiators or tanks, using brackets, clamps, tools, or welding equipment.
- Modify, clean, or maintain pipe systems, units, fittings, or related machines or equipment, using hand or power tools.
- Select pipe sizes, types, or related materials, such as supports, hangers, or hydraulic cylinders, according to specifications.
- Cut or bore holes in structures, such as bulkheads, decks, walls, or mains, prior to pipe installation, using hand or power tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Ohio was $55,640 with most people making between $31,560 and $80,720
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 16,070 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 18,450 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about 238 openings due to growth and about 1,782 replacement openings for approximately 2,020 total annual openings.
This occupation requires a Silver certificate
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Signal and Track Switch Repairers
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders