Manually plant, cultivate, and harvest vegetables, fruits, nuts and field crops. Use hand tools, such as shovels, trowels, hoes, tampers, pruning hooks, shears, and knives. Duties may include tilling soil and applying fertilizers; transplanting, weeding, thinning, or pruning crops; applying pesticides; cleaning, packing, and loading harvested products. May construct trellises, repair fences and farm buildings, or participate in irrigation activities.
- Agriculture Worker
- Apple Picker
- Apple Thinner
- Apple Turner
- Asparagus Cutter
- Bale Sewer
- Bean Picker
- Beet Topper
- Beet Worker
- Berry Picker
- Apply pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers to crops.
- Inform farmers or farm managers of crop progress.
- Direct and monitor the work of casual and seasonal help during planting and harvesting.
- Identify plants, pests, and weeds to determine the selection and application of pesticides and fertilizers.
- Set up and operate irrigation equipment.
- Operate tractors, tractor-drawn machinery, and self-propelled machinery to plow, harrow and fertilize soil, or to plant, cultivate, spray and harvest crops.
- Repair and maintain farm vehicles, implements, and mechanical equipment.
- Clear and maintain irrigation ditches.
- Record information about crops, such as pesticide use, yields, or costs.
- Dig and plant seeds, or transplant seedlings by hand.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $26,940 with most people making between $18,030 and $39,110
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 9,050 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 8,170 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 240 replacement openings for approximately 240 total annual openings.
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
This occupation requires a Bronze certificate
- Nursery Workers
- Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- Pourers and Casters, Metal
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Helpers--Production Workers
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand