Directly supervise and coordinate activities of animal husbandry or animal care workers.
- Animal Care Supervisor
- Animal Caretaker Supervisor
- Animal Maintenance Supervisor
- Animal Shelter Manager
- Artificial Breeding Ranch Supervisor
- Barn Boss
- Barn Manager
- Broiler Supervisor
- Camp Boss
- Camp Tender
- Assign tasks such as feeding and treatment of animals, and cleaning and maintenance of animal quarters.
- Investigate complaints of animal neglect or cruelty, and follow up on complaints appearing to require prosecution.
- Observe animals for signs of illness, injury, or unusual behavior, notifying veterinarians or managers as warranted.
- Monitor animal care, maintenance, breeding, or packing and transfer activities to ensure work is done correctly.
- Treat animal illnesses or injuries, following experience or instructions of veterinarians.
- Recruit, hire, and pay workers.
- Establish work schedules and procedures.
- Study feed, weight, health, genetic, or milk production records to determine feed formulas and rations and breeding schedules.
- Train workers in animal care procedures, maintenance duties, and safety precautions.
- Perform the same animal care duties as subordinates.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ER.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Relationships in their jobs.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $48,150 with most people making between $26,600 and $76,550
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 620 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 560 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Logging $54,180
- Miscellaneous Nondurable Goods Merchant Wholesalers $44,000
- Lawn and Garden Equipment and Supplies Stores $39,190
- Beverage Manufacturing $51,350
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Aquacultural Managers
- Forest and Conservation Technicians
- First-Line Supervisors of Logging Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Aquacultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand
- First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators
- Ship and Boat Captains