Compile and record employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions, or prepare paychecks.
- Process and issue employee paychecks and statements of earnings and deductions.
- Compute wages and deductions, and enter data into computers.
- Review time sheets, work charts, wage computation, and other information to detect and reconcile payroll discrepancies.
- Compile employee time, production, and payroll data from time sheets and other records.
- Process paperwork for new employees and enter employee information into the payroll system.
- Distribute and collect timecards each pay period.
- Keep informed about changes in tax and deduction laws that apply to the payroll process.
- Balance cash and payroll accounts.
- Verify attendance, hours worked, and pay adjustments, and post information onto designated records.
- Complete, verify, and process forms and documentation for administration of benefits such as pension plans, and unemployment and medical insurance.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Ohio was $43,980 with most people making between $30,040 and $60,350
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 6,300 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 6,040 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about -1 openings due to growth and about 581 replacement openings for approximately 580 total annual openings.
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
This occupation requires a Gold certificate
- Tax Preparers
- Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
- Billing, Cost, and Rate Clerks
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- Procurement Clerks
- Loan Interviewers and Clerks
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Executive Secretaries and Executive Administrative Assistants
- Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Insurance Claims Clerks