Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, chemistry, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Abrasives Sales Representative
- Account Development Manager
- Account Executive
- Account Leader
- Account Manager
- Accounts Executive
- Agricultural Sales Representative
- Aircraft Equipment and Parts Sales Representative
- Aircraft Sales Representative
- Animal Feed Products Sales Representative
- Negotiate prices or terms of sales or service agreements.
- Prepare and submit sales contracts for orders.
- Sell service contracts for technical or scientific products.
- Visit establishments to evaluate needs or to promote product or service sales.
- Maintain customer records, using automated systems.
- Answer customers' questions about products, prices, availability, or credit terms.
- Quote prices, credit terms, or other bid specifications.
- Contact new or existing customers to discuss how specific products or services can meet their needs.
- Emphasize product features based on analyses of customers' needs and on technical knowledge of product capabilities and limitations.
- Compute customer's installation or production costs and estimate savings from new services, products, or equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Ohio was $83,540 with most people making between $34,700 and $135,680
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 19,440 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 19,810 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about 37 openings due to growth and about 1,963 replacement openings for approximately 2,000 total annual openings.
- Professional and Commercial Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers $82,790
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services $91,250
- Drugs and Druggists' Sundries Merchant Wholesalers $92,330
- Software Publishers $84,250
- Electrical and Electronic Goods Merchant Wholesalers $75,370
- Machinery, Equipment, and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers $73,360
- Purchasing Managers
- Logistics Managers
- Clinical Research Coordinators
- Property, Real Estate, and Community Association Managers
- Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Cost Estimators
- First-Line Supervisors of Non-Retail Sales Workers
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
- Real Estate Brokers