Facilitate food service. Clean tables, remove dirty dishes, replace soiled table linens; set tables; replenish supply of clean linens, silverware, glassware, and dishes; supply service bar with food; and serve items such as water, condiments, and coffee to patrons.
- Banquet Houseperson
- Banquet Set Up Person
- Bar Attendant
- Bar Back
- Bartender Helper
- Beverage Server
- Breakfast Attendant
- Breakfast Bar Attendant
- Buffet Attendant
- Run cash registers.
- Wipe tables or seats with dampened cloths or replace dirty tablecloths.
- Set tables with clean linens, condiments, or other supplies.
- Locate items requested by customers.
- Scrape and stack dirty dishes and carry dishes and other tableware to kitchens for cleaning.
- Carry food, dishes, trays, or silverware from kitchens or supply departments to serving counters.
- Perform serving, cleaning, or stocking duties in establishments, such as cafeterias or dining rooms, to facilitate customer service.
- Garnish foods and position them on tables to make them visible and accessible.
- Carry trays from food counters to tables for cafeteria patrons.
- Clean up spilled food or drink or broken dishes and remove empty bottles and trash.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $20,340 with most people making between $17,840 and $25,160
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 10,540 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 11,010 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 47 openings due to growth and about 523 replacement openings for approximately 570 total annual openings.
Career and Technology Center5224 Bayshore RoadOregon, OH 43616
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
This occupation requires a Silver certificate
- Food Preparation Workers
- Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Nonfarm Animal Caretakers
- Baggage Porters and Bellhops
- Library Assistants, Clerical
- Stock Clerks, Sales Floor
- Packers and Packagers, Hand