Edit moving images on film, video, or other media. May edit or synchronize soundtracks with images.
- Organize and string together raw footage into a continuous whole according to scripts or the instructions of directors and producers.
- Trim film segments to specified lengths and reassemble segments in sequences that present stories with maximum effect.
- Review assembled films or edited videotapes on screens or monitors to determine if corrections are necessary.
- Determine the specific audio and visual effects and music necessary to complete films.
- Set up and operate computer editing systems, electronic titling systems, video switching equipment, and digital video effects units to produce a final product.
- Select and combine the most effective shots of each scene to form a logical and smoothly running story.
- Edit films and videotapes to insert music, dialogue, and sound effects, to arrange films into sequences, and to correct errors, using editing equipment.
- Cut shot sequences to different angles at specific points in scenes, making each individual cut as fluid and seamless as possible.
- Piece sounds together to develop film soundtracks.
- Mark frames where a particular shot or piece of sound is to begin or end.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AIE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $50,830 with most people making between $21,780 and $83,870
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 520 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 610 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 9 openings due to growth and about 1 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
- Motion Picture and Video Industries $68,680
- Radio and Television Broadcasting $54,810
- Other Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services $30,230
- Accounting, Tax Preparation, Bookkeeping, and Payroll Services $45,400
- Advertising, Public Relations, and Related Services $52,100
- Cable and Other Subscription Programming $51,090