Write advertising copy for use by publication or broadcast media to promote sale of goods and services.
- Account Executive
- Ad Copy Writer
- Advertising Account Executive
- Advertising Associate
- Advertising Copywriter
- Advertising Copy Writer
- Advertising Specialist
- Advertising Writer
- Ad Writer
- Blurb Writer
- Write to customers in their terms and on their level so that the advertiser's sales message is more readily received.
- Discuss with the client the product, advertising themes and methods, and any changes that should be made in advertising copy.
- Write advertising copy for use by publication, broadcast, or internet media to promote the sale of goods and services.
- Present drafts and ideas to clients.
- Vary language and tone of messages based on product and medium.
- Consult with sales, media and marketing representatives to obtain information on product or service and discuss style and length of advertising copy.
- Edit or rewrite existing copy as necessary, and submit copy for approval by supervisor.
- Develop advertising campaigns for a wide range of clients, working with an advertising agency's creative director and art director to determine the best way to present advertising information.
- Write articles, bulletins, sales letters, speeches, and other related informative, marketing and promotional material.
- Conduct research and interviews to determine which of a product's selling features should be promoted.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $47,170 with most people making between $23,550 and $76,270
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,460 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 3,580 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 12 openings due to growth and about 58 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.
- Advertising, Public Relations, and Related Services $73,710
- Newspaper, Periodical, Book, and Directory Publishers $56,210
- Independent Artists, Writers, and Performers $101,110
- Motion Picture and Video Industries $78,680
- Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools $57,740
- Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services $65,060