Plan, coordinate, or edit content of material for publication. May review proposals and drafts for possible publication. Includes technical editors.
- Acquisitions Editor
- Advertising Editor
- Art Editor
- Book Editor
- Bureau Chief
- Business Editor
- Communications Editor
- Content Editor
- Continuity Director
- Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
- Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work.
- Oversee publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
- Write text, such as stories, articles, editorials, or newsletters.
- Supervise and coordinate work of reporters and other editors.
- Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilization of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters.
- Confer with management and editorial staff members regarding placement and emphasis of developing news stories.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AEC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $57,610 with most people making between $25,560 and $97,570
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,530 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 3,260 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 130 replacement openings for approximately 130 total annual openings.
- Newspaper, Periodical, Book, and Directory Publishers $58,270
- Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools $53,370
- Business, Professional, Labor, Political, and Similar Organizations $63,640
- Radio and Television Broadcasting $57,640
- Motion Picture and Video Industries $74,200
- Advertising, Public Relations, and Related Services $62,970