Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Confer with clients regarding price and type of arrangement desired and the date, time, and place of delivery.
- Select flora and foliage for arrangements, working with numerous combinations to synthesize and develop new creations.
- Order and purchase flowers and supplies from wholesalers and growers.
- Deliver arrangements to customers, or oversee employees responsible for deliveries.
- Plan arrangement according to client's requirements, utilizing knowledge of design and properties of materials, or select appropriate standard design pattern.
- Water plants, and cut, condition, and clean flowers and foliage for storage.
- Trim material and arrange bouquets, wreaths, terrariums, and other items using trimmers, shapers, wire, pins, floral tape, foam, and other materials.
- Wrap and price completed arrangements.
- Perform office and retail service duties such as keeping financial records, serving customers, answering telephones, selling giftware items and receiving payment.
- Unpack stock as it comes into the shop.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AER.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $26,330 with most people making between $18,890 and $37,170
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,930 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 1,790 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.
This occupation requires a Bronze certificate