Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches for visual communications media, such as print, broadcasting, and advertising. Direct workers engaged in art work or layout design.
- Art Coordinator
- Art Department Head
- Art Director
- Artistic Director
- Arts Administrator
- Arts Manager
- Art Supervisor
- Associate Creative Director ACD Art Director
- Creative/Art Director
- Creative Director
- Formulate basic layout design or presentation approach and specify material details, such as style and size of type, photographs, graphics, animation, video, and sound.
- Manage own accounts and projects, working within budget and scheduling requirements.
- Confer with creative, art, copywriting, or production department heads to discuss client requirements and presentation concepts and to coordinate creative activities.
- Present final layouts to clients for approval.
- Mark up, paste, and complete layouts and write typography instructions to prepare materials for typesetting or printing.
- Review and approve art materials, copy materials, and proofs of printed copy developed by staff members.
- Conceptualize and help design interfaces for multimedia games, products, and devices.
- Work with creative directors to develop design solutions.
- Prepare detailed storyboards showing sequence and timing of story development for television production.
- Create custom illustrations or other graphic elements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $83,130 with most people making between $46,120 and $123,350
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,170 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 2,240 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 7 openings due to growth and about 43 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.
- Advertising, Public Relations, and Related Services $95,860
- Newspaper, Periodical, Book, and Directory Publishers $81,340
- Motion Picture and Video Industries $125,010
- Specialized Design Services $99,770
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services $90,920
- Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services $86,980