Research and analyze policy developments related to climate change. Make climate-related recommendations for actions such as legislation, awareness campaigns, or fundraising approaches.
- Provide analytical support for policy briefs related to renewable energy, energy efficiency, or climate change.
- Analyze and distill climate-related research findings to inform legislators, regulatory agencies, or other stakeholders.
- Prepare study reports, memoranda, briefs, testimonies, or other written materials to inform government or environmental groups on environmental issues such as climate change.
- Make legislative recommendations related to climate change or environmental management, based on climate change policies, principles, programs, practices, and processes.
- Promote initiatives to mitigate climate change with government or environmental groups.
- Research policies, practices, or procedures for climate or environmental management.
- Review existing policies or legislation to identify environmental impacts.
- Write reports or academic papers to communicate findings of climate-related studies.
- Present climate-related information at public interest, governmental, or other meetings.
- Gather and review climate-related studies from government agencies, research laboratories, and other organizations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Recognition in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $68,900 with most people making between $44,850 and $96,940
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,770 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 3,070 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 30 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 120 total annual openings.
- Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services $71,450
- Architectural, Engineering, and Related Services $66,390
- Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools $56,030
- Scientific Research and Development Services $80,460
- Social Advocacy Organizations $64,390
- Electric Power Generation, Transmission and Distribution $81,900