Assist mechanical engineers in such activities as generation, transmission, or use of mechanical or fluid energy. Prepare layouts of machinery or equipment or plan the flow of work. May conduct statistical studies or analyze production costs.
- Apparatus Engineering Technologist
- CAD Designer (Computer Aided Design Designer)
- Engineering Tech
- Engineering Technical Analyst
- Engineering Technologist
- Engineer Technical Staff
- Lead Manufacturing Engineering Tech
- Mechanical Designer
- Mechanical Designer/Wind-Chill Administrator
- Mechanical Engineering Technologist
- Interpret engineering sketches, specifications, or drawings.
- Assist engineers to design, develop, test, or manufacture industrial machinery, consumer products, or other equipment.
- Design specialized or customized equipment, machines, or structures.
- Prepare specifications, designs, or sketches for machines, components, or systems related to the generation, transmission, or use of mechanical or fluid energy.
- Provide technical support to other employees regarding mechanical design, fabrication, testing, or documentation.
- Inspect and test mechanical equipment.
- Conduct failure analyses, document results, and recommend corrective actions.
- Assemble or disassemble complex mechanical systems.
- Test machines, components, materials, or products to determine characteristics such as performance, strength, or response to stress.
- Assist mechanical engineers in product testing through activities such as setting up instrumentation for automobile crash tests.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Independence in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $60,140 with most people making between $35,190 and $93,850
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,560 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 3,590 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 3 openings due to growth and about 87 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
- Architectural, Engineering, and Related Services $54,030
- Scientific Research and Development Services $56,460
- Employment Services $54,130
- Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools $52,080
- Navigational, Measuring, Electromedical, and Control Instruments Manufacturing $54,750
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services $67,050