Operate, install, calibrate, and maintain integrated computer/communications systems, consoles, simulators, and other data acquisition, test, and measurement instruments and equipment, which are used to launch, track, position, and evaluate air and space vehicles. May record and interpret test data.
- Construct and maintain test facilities for aircraft parts and systems, according to specifications.
- Inspect, diagnose, maintain, and operate test setups and equipment to detect malfunctions.
- Operate and calibrate computer systems and devices to comply with test requirements and to perform data acquisition and analysis.
- Record and interpret test data on parts, assemblies, and mechanisms.
- Test aircraft systems under simulated operational conditions, performing systems readiness tests and pre- and post-operational checkouts, to establish design or fabrication parameters.
- Confer with engineering personnel regarding details and implications of test procedures and results.
- Fabricate and install parts and systems to be tested in test equipment, using hand tools, power tools, and test instruments.
- Adjust, repair or replace faulty components of test setups and equipment.
- Identify required data, data acquisition plans and test parameters, setting up equipment to conform to these specifications.
- Finish vehicle instrumentation and deinstrumentation.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $69,810 with most people making between $51,610 and $91,420
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 290 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 280 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Aerospace Product and Parts Manufacturing $59,990
- Architectural, Engineering, and Related Services $64,540
- Scientific Research and Development Services $59,490
- Navigational, Measuring, Electromedical, and Control Instruments Manufacturing $56,260
- Communications Equipment Manufacturing $53,620
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services $80,360