Research, design, develop, test, or supervise the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment, components, or systems for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use.
- Operate computer-assisted engineering or design software or equipment to perform engineering tasks.
- Prepare technical drawings, specifications of electrical systems, or topographical maps to ensure that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements.
- Confer with engineers, customers, or others to discuss existing or potential engineering projects or products.
- Design, implement, maintain, or improve electrical instruments, equipment, facilities, components, products, or systems for commercial, industrial, or domestic purposes.
- Conduct field surveys or study maps, graphs, diagrams, or other data to identify and correct power system problems.
- Direct or coordinate manufacturing, construction, installation, maintenance, support, documentation, or testing activities to ensure compliance with specifications, codes, or customer requirements.
- Compile data and write reports regarding existing or potential electrical engineering studies or projects.
- Investigate customer or public complaints to determine the nature and extent of problems.
- Perform detailed calculations to compute and establish manufacturing, construction, or installation standards or specifications.
- Oversee project production efforts to assure projects are completed on time and within budget.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $84,280 with most people making between $52,500 and $123,720
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 5,070 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 5,150 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 8 openings due to growth and about 112 replacement openings for approximately 120 total annual openings.
Career and Technology Center5224 Bayshore RoadOregon, OH 43616
- Architectural, Engineering, and Related Services $88,070
- Electric Power Generation, Transmission and Distribution $85,370
- Scientific Research and Development Services $94,460
- Semiconductor and Other Electronic Component Manufacturing $94,670
- Navigational, Measuring, Electromedical, and Control Instruments Manufacturing $91,900
- Aerospace Product and Parts Manufacturing $93,010
This occupation requires a Gold certificate
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Computer Network Architects
- Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
- Geospatial Information Scientists and Technologists
- Chemical Engineers
- Computer Hardware Engineers
- Environmental Engineers
- Petroleum Engineers
- Industrial Engineering Technicians
- Remote Sensing Scientists and Technologists