Develop and apply biostatistical theory and methods to the study of life sciences.
- Associate Director of Biostatistics
- Associate Professor of Biostatistics
- Bioinformatics Specialist
- Biostatistics Director
- Clinical Biostatistician
- Consultant/Associate Professor of Biostatistics
- Draw conclusions or make predictions based on data summaries or statistical analyses.
- Design research studies in collaboration with physicians, life scientists, or other professionals.
- Analyze clinical or survey data using statistical approaches such as longitudinal analysis, mixed effect modeling, logistic regression analyses, and model building techniques.
- Provide biostatistical consultation to clients or colleagues.
- Write research proposals or grant applications for submission to external bodies.
- Prepare articles for publication or presentation at professional conferences.
- Calculate sample size requirements for clinical studies.
- Write detailed analysis plans and descriptions of analyses and findings for research protocols or reports.
- Monitor clinical trials or experiments to ensure adherence to established procedures or to verify the quality of data collected.
- Review clinical or other medical research protocols and recommend appropriate statistical analyses.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $84,770 with most people making between $52,350 and $124,160
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 880 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 1,160 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 28 openings due to growth and about 12 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Scientific Research and Development Services $85,730
- Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools $69,160
- Insurance Carriers $69,420
- Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services $73,210
- General Medical and Surgical Hospitals $54,150
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services $77,050