Conduct research into fundamental computer and information science as theorists, designers, or inventors. Develop solutions to problems in the field of computer hardware and software.
- Analyze problems to develop solutions involving computer hardware and software.
- Design computers and the software that runs them.
- Assign or schedule tasks to meet work priorities and goals.
- Evaluate project plans and proposals to assess feasibility issues.
- Apply theoretical expertise and innovation to create or apply new technology, such as adapting principles for applying computers to new uses.
- Consult with users, management, vendors, and technicians to determine computing needs and system requirements.
- Maintain network hardware and software, direct network security measures, and monitor networks to ensure availability to system users.
- Meet with managers, vendors, and others to solicit cooperation and resolve problems.
- Conduct logical analyses of business, scientific, engineering, and other technical problems, formulating mathematical models of problems for solution by computers.
- Participate in multidisciplinary projects in areas such as virtual reality, human-computer interaction, or robotics.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IRC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Systems Analysis - Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Systems Evaluation - Identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $111,610 with most people making between $74,410 and $162,020
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 230 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 220 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services $101,150
- Scientific Research and Development Services $108,270
- Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools $85,860
- Software Publishers $119,950
- Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services $103,110
- Professional and Commercial Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers $106,510