Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain record of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Accountant Manager
- Accounting Analyst
- Accounting Bookkeeper
- Accounting Consultant
- Accounting Manager
- Accounting Methods Analyst
- Accounting Officer
- Accounting Supervisor
- Accounting Systems Analyst
- Prepare, examine, or analyze accounting records, financial statements, or other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
- Compute taxes owed and prepare tax returns, ensuring compliance with payment, reporting, or other tax requirements.
- Report to management regarding the finances of establishment.
- Maintain or examine the records of government agencies.
- Advise clients in areas such as compensation, employee health care benefits, the design of accounting or data processing systems, or long-range tax or estate plans.
- Establish tables of accounts and assign entries to proper accounts.
- Develop, implement, modify, and document recordkeeping and accounting systems, making use of current computer technology.
- Provide internal and external auditing services for businesses or individuals.
- Develop, maintain, and analyze budgets, preparing periodic reports that compare budgeted costs to actual costs.
- Analyze business operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations to project future revenues and expenses or to provide advice.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Support in their jobs.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $72,350 with most people making between $41,770 and $112,630
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 41,300 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 44,650 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 335 openings due to growth and about 1,105 replacement openings for approximately 1,440 total annual openings.
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
River View High School26496 STATE ROUTE 60WARSAW, OH 43844
- Accounting, Tax Preparation, Bookkeeping, and Payroll Services $74,250
- Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services $74,860
- Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools $56,690
- Insurance Carriers $66,910
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services $75,670
- Other Financial Investment Activities $81,900
This occupation requires a Platinum certificate