Purchase machinery, equipment, tools, parts, supplies, or services necessary for the operation of an establishment. Purchase raw or semi-finished materials for manufacturing.
- Area Field Person
- Area Field Worker
- Contract Administrator
- Contract Analyst
- Contractor Buyer
- Contracts Administrator
- Contracts Manager
- Contract Specialist
- Equipment, Supplies, and Tools Purchasing Agent
- Purchase the highest quality merchandise at the lowest possible price and in correct amounts.
- Prepare purchase orders, solicit bid proposals, and review requisitions for goods and services.
- Monitor and follow applicable laws and regulations.
- Research and evaluate suppliers, based on price, quality, selection, service, support, availability, reliability, production and distribution capabilities, and the supplier's reputation and history.
- Negotiate, renegotiate, and administer contracts with suppliers, vendors, and other representatives.
- Analyze price proposals, financial reports, and other data and information to determine reasonable prices.
- Maintain and review computerized or manual records of purchased items, costs, deliveries, product performance, and inventories.
- Write and review product specifications, maintaining a working technical knowledge of the goods or services to be purchased.
- Formulate policies and procedures for bid proposals and procurement of goods and services.
- Evaluate and monitor contract performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations and to determine need for changes.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Relationships and Support in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Ohio was $66,610 with most people making between $41,110 and $97,420
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 13,190 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 12,430 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about -1 openings due to growth and about 1,011 replacement openings for approximately 1,010 total annual openings.
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
- Aerospace Product and Parts Manufacturing $66,450
- General Medical and Surgical Hospitals $48,830
- Navigational, Measuring, Electromedical, and Control Instruments Manufacturing $63,230
- Building Equipment Contractors $52,830
- Architectural, Engineering, and Related Services $66,910
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services $65,300
This occupation requires a Gold certificate
- Purchasing Managers
- Transportation Managers
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Insurance Adjusters, Examiners, and Investigators
- Regulatory Affairs Specialists
- Cost Estimators
- Compensation, Benefits, and Job Analysis Specialists
- Customs Brokers
- Budget Analysts