Plan, direct, or coordinate the transportation operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that provide transportation services.
- Plan, organize, or manage the work of subordinate staff to ensure that the work is accomplished in a manner consistent with organizational requirements.
- Direct activities related to dispatching, routing, or tracking transportation vehicles, such as aircraft or railroad cars.
- Monitor operations to ensure that staff members comply with administrative policies and procedures, safety rules, union contracts, environmental policies, or government regulations.
- Serve as contact persons for all workers within assigned territories.
- Implement schedule or policy changes for transportation services.
- Monitor spending to ensure that expenses are consistent with approved budgets.
- Promote safe work activities by conducting safety audits, attending company safety meetings, or meeting with individual staff members.
- Prepare management recommendations, such as proposed fee and tariff increases or schedule changes.
- Conduct investigations in cooperation with government agencies to determine causes of transportation accidents, coordinate cleanup activities, or improve safety procedures.
- Direct investigations to verify and resolve customer or shipper complaints.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Ohio was $99,570 with most people making between $56,360 and $154,510
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 5,400 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 5,800 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about 40 openings due to growth and about 420 replacement openings for approximately 460 total annual openings.
This occupation requires a Gold certificate
- Marketing Managers
- Administrative Services Managers
- Purchasing Managers
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Regulatory Affairs Specialists
- Compensation, Benefits, and Job Analysis Specialists
- Customs Brokers
- Sales Agents, Securities and Commodities
- Sales Agents, Financial Services