Plan, direct, or coordinate the activities of buyers, purchasing officers, and related workers involved in purchasing materials, products, and services. Includes wholesale or retail trade merchandising managers and procurement managers.
- Circuit Rider
- Circuit Walker
- Commissary Superintendent
- Commodity Manager
- Contract Administrator
- Contract Coordinator
- Contracting Manager
- Contracting Officer
- Contract Manager
- Represent companies in negotiating contracts and formulating policies with suppliers.
- Direct and coordinate activities of personnel engaged in buying, selling, and distributing materials, equipment, machinery, and supplies.
- Interview and hire staff, and oversee staff training.
- Locate vendors of materials, equipment or supplies, and interview them to determine product availability and terms of sales.
- Prepare and process requisitions and purchase orders for supplies and equipment.
- Develop and implement purchasing and contract management instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain records of goods ordered and received.
- Prepare bid awards requiring board approval.
- Analyze market and delivery systems to assess present and future material availability.
- Participate in the development of specifications for equipment, products or substitute materials.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Ohio was $123,440 with most people making between $75,860 and $176,760
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 2,520 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 2,680 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about 16 openings due to growth and about 204 replacement openings for approximately 220 total annual openings.
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
- Aerospace Product and Parts Manufacturing $105,720
- Navigational, Measuring, Electromedical, and Control Instruments Manufacturing $105,960
- Scientific Research and Development Services $117,910
- General Medical and Surgical Hospitals $91,220
- Architectural, Engineering, and Related Services $109,300
- Grocery and Related Product Merchant Wholesalers $102,680
This occupation requires a Silver certificate
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Supply Chain Managers
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
- Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Regulatory Affairs Specialists
- Cost Estimators
- Customs Brokers
- Budget Analysts