Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as electronic data processing, information systems, systems analysis, and computer programming.
- Application Development Director
- Chief Information Officer (CIO)
- Chief Innovation Officer
- Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Computer Operations Manager
- Computer Programming Manager
- Computer Security Manager
- Computer Systems Information Director
- Computing Services Director
- Consulting Technical Director
- Manage backup, security and user help systems.
- Direct daily operations of department, analyzing workflow, establishing priorities, developing standards and setting deadlines.
- Meet with department heads, managers, supervisors, vendors, and others, to solicit cooperation and resolve problems.
- Review project plans to plan and coordinate project activity.
- Assign and review the work of systems analysts, programmers, and other computer-related workers.
- Provide users with technical support for computer problems.
- Develop computer information resources, providing for data security and control, strategic computing, and disaster recovery.
- Stay abreast of advances in technology.
- Recruit, hire, train and supervise staff, or participate in staffing decisions.
- Consult with users, management, vendors, and technicians to assess computing needs and system requirements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Ohio was $135,510 with most people making between $79,180 and $202,390
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 13,510 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 14,130 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about 62 openings due to growth and about 998 replacement openings for approximately 1,060 total annual openings.
This occupation requires a Platinum certificate
- Architectural and Engineering Managers
- Natural Sciences Managers
- Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Compensation, Benefits, and Job Analysis Specialists
- Fraud Examiners, Investigators and Analysts
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Web Administrators
- Industrial Engineers
- Sales Engineers