Plan, direct, or coordinate the actual distribution or movement of a product or service to the customer. Coordinate sales distribution by establishing sales territories, quotas, and goals and establish training programs for sales representatives. Analyze sales statistics gathered by staff to determine sales potential and inventory requirements and monitor the preferences of customers.
- Direct and coordinate activities involving sales of manufactured products, services, commodities, real estate or other subjects of sale.
- Resolve customer complaints regarding sales and service.
- Confer with potential customers regarding equipment needs and advise customers on types of equipment to purchase.
- Review operational records and reports to project sales and determine profitability.
- Oversee regional and local sales managers and their staffs.
- Determine price schedules and discount rates.
- Prepare budgets and approve budget expenditures.
- Monitor customer preferences to determine focus of sales efforts.
- Assess marketing potential of new and existing store locations, considering statistics and expenditures.
- Plan and direct staffing, training, and performance evaluations to develop and control sales and service programs.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Ohio was $134,600
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 11,960 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 12,480 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about 52 openings due to growth and about 1,018 replacement openings for approximately 1,070 total annual openings.
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
- Automobile Dealers $111,670
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services $145,460
- Insurance Carriers $122,360
- Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services $123,610
- Professional and Commercial Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers $141,100
- Grocery and Related Product Merchant Wholesalers $112,960
This occupation requires a Platinum certificate
- General and Operations Managers
- Industrial Production Managers
- Purchasing Managers
- Postmasters and Mail Superintendents
- Supply Chain Managers
- First-Line Supervisors of Non-Retail Sales Workers
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Sales Agents, Securities and Commodities
- Sales Agents, Financial Services
- Real Estate Sales Agents