Plan, direct, or coordinate advertising policies and programs or produce collateral materials, such as posters, contests, coupons, or give-aways, to create extra interest in the purchase of a product or service for a department, an entire organization, or on an account basis.
- Inspect layouts and advertising copy and edit scripts, audio and video tapes, and other promotional material for adherence to specifications.
- Plan and prepare advertising and promotional material to increase sales of products or services, working with customers, company officials, sales departments, and advertising agencies.
- Gather and organize information to plan advertising campaigns.
- Confer with clients to provide marketing or technical advice.
- Direct, motivate, and monitor the mobilization of a campaign team to advance campaign goals.
- Confer with department heads or staff to discuss topics such as contracts, selection of advertising media, or product to be advertised.
- Coordinate activities of departments, such as sales, graphic arts, media, finance, and research.
- Train and direct workers engaged in developing and producing advertisements.
- Track program budgets and expenses and campaign response rates to evaluate each campaign based on program objectives and industry norms.
- Prepare budgets and submit estimates for program costs as part of campaign plan development.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EAC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Artistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Ohio was $89,460 with most people making between $42,560 and $133,610
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 730 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 750 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 28 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
John Marshall High School3952 WEST 140TH STCLEVELAND, OH 44111
- Advertising, Public Relations, and Related Services $121,560
- Radio and Television Broadcasting $92,510
- Newspaper, Periodical, Book, and Directory Publishers $93,120
- Automobile Dealers $79,100
- Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services $82,660
- Business, Professional, Labor, Political, and Similar Organizations $99,680
This occupation requires a Gold certificate